A Secret from the Midlands

 

Well the rumour has been kept a secret for a long time but now I'm under pressure to put the progress of the long awaited coupe 4X4. This is for a well known Fccuk member who so far has been very patient with me as I have had the car since October. Although as you can see it wasn't exactly running when i got it.

So on the offset its going into fairly unknown territory. There currently isn't one running in the UK, but worst of all the project has been started by someone else. So I have a customers shell that I collected. No sub-frame or any running gear, I had to make some castor wheels that bolted to the floor under where the sub-frame was...I was also given a load of parts, nuts and bolts, rust, spiders and some grass..

 
 
This actually looks alot worse on the pictures than what it is.The bonnet was left up for a long period of time and there's alot of unusual surface rust. Now I'm a fussy sod and its rare I will say I'm 100% happy but on this occasion the paintwork came out nice on the engine bay. Very impressed. Better than my own car.
 
 
This actually looks alot worse on the pictures than what it is.The bonnet was left up for a long period of time and there's alot of unusual surface rust. Now I'm a fussy sod and its rare I will say I'm 100% happy but on this occasion the paintwork came out nice on the engine bay. Very impressed. Better than my own car.
 
 
Work starts on the engine.Were no too fussed about this one as its getting a 2.4 slotted in once this setup has had a few miles under its belt to check all is OK with the sump design and the oil flow etc. Now if this manifold was a person I can assure you it would be dead. What an absolute swine to fit. This is with the engine out of the car. So nearly 2 hours later its on. As you can see in the third photo the bolts are nice to get to if you have spaghetti fingers! Anyways enough moaning about stupid poor fitting manifolds. Its ready for a test run in the car. Unfortunately the twin plate helix clutch is badly worn so I wouldn't entertain fitting this without getting it re-plated or your asking for trouble.
 
 
Now despite being advised to alter the position of the engine I'm happy that the engines current position wont cause any issues. Not only that but it means we can use the original drive shafts, engine and box mountings. So instead of altering four things all I have to do is make the rear sub-frame mounting.

Unfortunately the sump and transfer box aren't as straightforward. Neither will fit with the other on. So the sump needs further machining on a sump that I'm not happy with in the first place as I think its taking too much static oil from the sump. I'm not confident it will return quick enough into the sump for the pickup especially when cornering. This is why we are going to run this engine to start with before risking a 2.4 engine. The current capacity loss is 0.7 of a litre. So we will see what happens. The transfer box bracket has been removed and I'm getting a cage welded to it so it bolts to the original bolt holes in the block. This will look nice and neat wen its done.

 
   
 
Sub-frame on, D2 suspension and Porsche front calipers, discs and pads all in place. Coupe Arms, steering rack all bolt nice to the lancia Dedra sub-frame without the need for modification. Rear sub-frame, suspension and diff are also in.

Keep checking for updates...